The first gelato open gelato masterclass in Italy will take place in Bologna on the 5-6-7 of February 2020.
3 days intensive course, theoretical and practical training, plus guided tasting in selected gelato shops.
For more information, you can find gelato.expert with Essenza Gelato at SIGEP, visit us at A7 – 051!
The course will give a general review of the ingredients used in gelato production, and it will then focus on the composition of raw materials, food labelling, recipe formulation, vegan gelato, alcohol in gelato, shelf life, fibres and novelty ingredients, and much more.
All the recipes will be created and executed from scratch together with the participants that will be able to learn and replicate them according their own specific needs.
The physical composition of gelato
What is gelato made of?
Food composition and labelling
- Food composition
- How to read and how to write food labels
- Nutritional values
- How to study raw materials composition and their use in gelato
Ingredients of gelato and their functional action
- Sensory and functional ingredients in gelato
- Sugars (Sweetness, freezing point, applications in gelato)
- Fibres and their application
- Other ingredients
Gelato mix formulation methods
- Ingredients balancing
- Freezing curves
- Parameters for gelato formulation
- Sorbetto (fruit-based gelato with no dairy products)
- Milk-based gelato
- The problem of alcohol in gelato and possible solutions
- Formulation of popsicles with alcohol
- Formulation of gelato and sorbets with alcohol
Fruit and vegetables
- Composition of fruit
- Sugar and fibre profiles
- Introduction to fruit processing
- Fruit in gelato
- Vegetables in gelato
- Granita formulation
- Sorbet formulation
- Raw materials for vegan gelato
- Food labelling and nutritional values
- Plant-based drinks: composition and use in gelato
- Use of different types of sugars (i.e. sugars from different sources)
- Use of plant-based drinks, of nuts and coconut
- Different approaches in the formulation and marketing of vegan gelato
- Formulation of vegan gelato (vegetable milk, nuts, infusions, caramel, …)
- Introduction to product development
- Recipe creativity and development techniques
- Testing and tasting
- Quality control
- The shelf life of food systems
- Parameters that determine the shelf life
- Shelf life of gelato and frozen products
- Shelf life and quality assurance
Clean label gelato and health claims
- Food-related claims legislation
- Food additives and their use in gelato
- Additives substitutes
- What is “clean label”?
- “Free from” and “no … added”
- Low sugar and no added sugar gelato
- Is sugar-free gelato possible?
- Novelty ingredients for gelato
Practical part (final menu to be defined):
- Coconut stracciatella (Vegan)
- Pistachio (Vegan)
- Chocolate (Vegan)
- Salted caramel (Vegan)
- Fruit sorbet
- Yuzu custard
- Zabajone (alcohol)
- Kefir with beetroot or Yogurt and berries
- Gelato with reduced sugars
…. other flavours to be decided according to students’ requests and ingredients availability.
The course will be held in Bologna and Vignola in collaboration with Essenza Gelato.
5-6-7 February 2020, from 10 to 17.30
1000€ after 26/01/2020
Early birds: 800€ if booked before 26/01/2020
Included: 3 days theoretical and practical course, course study material, recipe book of the course with additional bonus recipes, 50% discount on access to private beta of gelato formulation software (150€ instead of 300€), visit to ingredient manufacturer (gelato products, fruit syrups, alcohol and balsamic vinegar), visit with guided tasting in some famous Italian gelato shops.
The course will be taught in English.
To offer a smooth and intensive learning experience the available places for this course are limited.
Send an email to email@example.com
Luca Musolesi started making gelato at the age of 12, but unlike many, not following a family tradition, but moved by the curiosity for experimenting with food.
Later on, Luca studied violin in the conservatoire and physics at the university, a combination of creativity and science that are fundamental in his approach to gelato.
In 2008 Luca created a website (http://gelatoincasa.org) about gelato that became the most visited in Italy and started giving courses to amateurs and professionals.
Because of the scientific background, Luca consulted and worked in research and development for several food-related companies (gelato and ice cream factories, frozen desserts producers, yoghurt, functional ingredients) and artisanal gelato shops and chains in Europe, Middle East and Asia.
In 2018 Luca opened a gelato shop and training centre in Southern China to make his expertise easily available in Asia. He curated the first gelato festival in Guangzhou, and he is providing gelato to the most exclusive events for Lamborghini, Four Seasons Hotel and Italian Consulate.